Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Don't Fall into the Unemployment Trap

With the current unemployment numbers staggering and continuing to rise, I want to offer advice for those of you reading my blog. Everyone knows somebody who is currently unemployed or who will be laid off. With almost 10% of the working class unemployed (even more if you include the number of involuntarily unemployed people who just gave up looking for work), and a recovery no where in sight, the level of competition for a job is that much greater. Once unemployment begins do not get complacent. The rate at which companies are hiring has slowed and companies are receiving a much larger ratio of resumes to job openings. Begin the job search right away. As I often mention, job hunting should be a 40-hour a week job. Remember, the longer you collect unemployment, the more difficult it will be to get hired.

My first Q + A
Andrea from Bordentown asked:
My resume has been on www.monster.com, www.careerbuilder.com, and www.hotjobs.com and I don’t seem to get anywhere, is there another site(s) that posts jobs that I am missing?

Dave:
Great question Andrea, and the answer is yes. http://www.craigslist.com/ and http://www.indeed.com/, are great sources as well for job seekers. Finally there are even state sites like www.nj.com/jobs which can prove to be fruitful.


Steven from Laurel Springs asked:
Should I have an objective in my resume?
Dave:
I think the answer is no. Having an objective can only hurt, or at the very least, be very vague. I would write something like, "I’m looking for a position to work for a great company in which I can use my skills and continue to learn".

Maggie:
I sit at home all day while searching, and I feel like I’m going around in circles.
Dave:
Change it up, Maggie. Register with a couple of staffing companies (check one out at http://www.perrytemps.com)/. Let them do some work for you. Not to mention, they may know of some companies that you may have never heard of. You are only spending a little time for something that can pay big dividends.
Remember to email mailto:dweiss@attnet with any questions. Have a great day.

No comments: